Thursday, August 4, 2011

Words to Live By

A few weeks ago I met up with a group of ladies for frozen yogurt. We were having a good time chatting when I casually mentioned that my friend couldn't make it. One of the women there decided that my mentioning this friend meant that the conversation was open to continue talking about her. She told everyone about how my friend isn't good at her job and that her managers don't want to give her very many clients because she just doesn't know what she is doing.

I was speechless. Here we were out trying to have a fun time when Miss Gossip-pants decided to ruin the party. I wish I would have said something right then and there to discredit this woman, but I just kept my mouth shut. I can only hope that the other women there considered the source, and didn't take what she said to heart.

As I pondered this conversation I came up with a saying that I think is the perfect words to live by. I'm not perfect by any means. But I'm working hard at trying to live by these 3 simple phrases:

Is it true?
Is it uplifting?
Is it kind?


1. Is it true?
The answer to this question could be yes, but that doesn't mean that it should be repeated.

2. Is it uplifting?
Will it encourage, comfort, or strengthen someone?

3. Is it kind?
If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.


My advise to you is to stop and think before you speak. If you are going to talk about someone, double check to make sure it is true, uplifting, and kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment